Date and time:

Dr. Jian Sun, Face++

In the first part of this talk, I will briefly present my views on the revolution and challenges in computer vision, by the rising of deep learning or deep neural networks. I will introduce some research works I have done in Microsoft Research and Megvii Research, including ResNet, Faster-RCNN, ShuffleNet, and MegDet, and some real-world applications I have built.

The second part of the talk focuses on the impacts of deep learning on visual understanding of human, the most important "object" in the world. This part will cover face recognition, anti-spoofing, human pose estimation, and pedestrian re-identification.

Short Bio:
Dr. Jian Sun is Chief Scientist of Megvii Technology (Face++), a Computer Vision/AI startup (800+ FTE, 600M USD total funding, ranked at the 11th among 50 smartest companies 2017 by MIT Technology Review) located at Beijing, China. He received a B.S., a M.S. and a Ph.D., in Electronical Engineering at Xian Jiaotong University in 1997, 2000 and 2003. Following his dissertation, he joined Visual Computing Group in Microsoft Research Asia. He was promoted as Lead Researcher, Senior Researcher, Principal Researcher in 2008, 2010, and 2013. He relocated to Microsoft Research US in 2015, and was promoted as Principal Research Manager, Microsoft Partner in 2016.

His primary research interests are deep learning based image understanding, face recognition, and computational photography. Since 2002, he has published 100+ scientific papers on five tier-one conferences or journals (CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, SIGGRAPH, and PAMI). His Google Scholar citation number is 40,000+, H-index is 68, up to 02/2018. He is the recipient of Best Paper Awards of CVPR 2010 and CVPR 2016. In 2015, his team won five 1st places on ImageNet Challenge and COCO Visual Recognition Challenge, by invented "Residual Networks" and "Faster R-CNN" algorithms, which have been prevalently used in both academy and industry, including DeepMind's AlphaGo Zero in 2017. Jian was named one of the world's top 35 young innovators (TR35) by MIT Technology Review in 2010. He severed as area chair of ICCV 2011, CVPR 2012/2015/2016/2017, and paper committee of Siggraph 2011. He is also the recipient of National Natural Science Award of China (second class) in 2016. His team at Megvii Research won three 1st places on COCO & Places Visual Recognition Challenge in 2017. He holds 40 International or US patents.
More information about Dr. Jian Sun