Date and time:

Professor Nadia Berthouze, University College London

Body movement and touch behaviour are important agents in the affective life of people. With the emergence of full-body sensing technology come new opportunities to support people's affective experiences and needs. Although we are now able to track people's body movements almost ubiquitously through a variety of low-cost sensors embedded in our environment as well as in our accessories and clothes, the information garnered is typically used for activity tracking more than for recognising and modulating affect. In my talk I will highlight how we express affect through our bodies in everyday activities and how technology can be designed to read those expressions and even to modulate them. Among various applications, I will present our work on technology for chronic pain management and discuss how such technology can lead to more effective physical rehabilitation through integrating it in everyday activities and supporting people at both physical and affective levels. I will also discuss how this sensing technology enables us to go beyond simply measuring and reflecting on one's behaviour by exploiting embodied bottom-up mechanisms that enhance the perception of one's body and its capabilities. I will conclude by identifying new challenges and opportunities that this line of work presents.

Short Bio:
Professor Nadia Berthouze is a Full Professor in Affective Computing and Interaction at the University College London Interaction Centre (UCLIC). Her research focuses on designing technology that can sense the affective state of its users and use that information to tailor the interaction process. She has pioneered the field of Affective Computing by investigating how body movement and touch behaviour can be used as means to recognize and measure the quality of the user experience. She also studied how full-body technology and body sensory feedback can be used to modulate people's perception of themselves and of their capabilities to improve self-efficacy and coping capabilities. Her work has been motivated by real-world applications such as physical rehabilitation (EPSRC Emo&Pain), textile design (EPSRC Digital Sensoria), education (H2020 WeDraw) and wellbeing on the industrial workfloor (H2020 Human Manufacturing). She has published more than 200 papers in Affective Computing, HCI, and Pattern Recognition.
More information about Professor Nadia Berthouze